Recipe Submitted by Christine Tabaka, Harvest Market Customer
Easy Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings. Juicy chicken breasts cook to tender perfection in the slow cooker in a rich creamy sauce. Shortcut dumplings make this delicious comforting meal effortless. Makes 4 servings.
• 1 large onion, diced
• 2 large stalks of celery, diced
• 2 cans (10.5 oz.) organic cream of chicken soup *(if soup is not condensed, whisk 2 TBSP of flour into mix)
• 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
• 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
• black pepper to taste
• 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (or 2 breasts & two thighs)
• 1-2 cups low sodium chicken broth (depending on size of crockpot)
• 2 large carrots, peeled and diced (you can also use a frozen pea and carrot mix)
• 1cups frozen peas, defrosted
• 1 can (8 pieces) organic refrigerated biscuits
- Add onion and celery to 6 qt crock pot and top with chicken breasts.
- In a small bowl, combine cream of celery soup, cream of chicken soup, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper. Spread over chicken breasts. Top with chicken broth and cook on high 5 hours.
- After 1-2 hours add diced carrots (if using fresh)
- Approximately 1 hour (I allow 60 – 90 minutes) before serving, roll each biscuit thin and flat. Cut into 4 strips. Add thawed vegetables and biscuit strips to the slow cooker and stir.
Remove chicken breasts and slightly shred. Add back into slow cooker and stir (this will break up the dumplings somewhat which is okay). Let cook an additional 10 minutes and serve.
Note: Biscuits should be perfectly cooked after 60 minutes however some slow cookers have required extra time to cook the biscuits.