Spring is finally here, and we are rejoicing in all the produce that abounds. Ruffly local spring mix, crispy sweet romaine, bitter greens, sweet snappy peas, strawberries, freshly cut herbs… the list goes on! Here are some of our favorite cheeses for salads, and for pairing with seasonal produce throughout the festive month of May:
- PA Birchrun Blue, with its sweet, creamy, peppery profile, is well suited for snap peas, grilled romaine, radicchio, or featured in a blue cheese salad dressing.
- Fruity and savory Runnymede by The Farm at Doe Run, a mixed milk (goat, sheep, cow) Pennsylvania cheese inspired by the Italian Alpine classics, brings out the sweetness in a bitter green salad with radicchio or endive. We also recommend it shaved over a pea risotto.
- If you have yet to try Buf brand buffalo mozzarella, you are in for a treat. With buffalo milk being the highest in nutrients, including butterfat, of all the dairy milks, bouncy buffalo mozzarella is an easy and surefire way to enhance the flavor and nutrition of any of your spring salads and veggie platters.
- Valbreso sheep feta is silky, smooth, and melts in your mouth. The next time you’re searching for some feta to complete your salad, try Valbreso sheep. It’s creamy, rich, and full flavored. A little goes a long way, and we recommend it crumbled atop a simple Greek salad, or on greens with nuts and berries, as they become ripe and juicy throughout the season. Try this baked feta recipe, perfect for the grill!
- CA Cypress Grove’s fresh chevre with herbs, Herbs de Humboldt, crumbles beautifully atop grilled vegetables, asparagus, roasted beet salad, homemade pizza, festive toast, eggplant rollatini, or smashed new potatoes with garlic and chives. Taste the nutty brightness of goat’s milk, coming at you fresh as a spring day!
‘Tis the season for cheesin’. Drop us a line on social media to share with us YOUR favorite cheese and produce pairings for spring.