Our Harvest Market Kitchen chefs are offering recipes from their home kitchens. Whether you are a novice cook or seasoned chef, these dishes are simple, satisfying, and can be made in about 30 minutes. Happy cooking!
Thai Vegetable Red Curry
From Mia’s Kitchen – Let Mia herself introduce you to this recipe.
I enjoy making curries because they are so versatile and full of flavor. It’s like a party for your taste buds- salty, sweet, spicy, tangy, herby… all in one bite. You can make simple curries by using just one vegetable or protein, or they can be more complex with multiple veggies. You can choose what you like, or just use whatever you have on hand. Curry can be served over rice, noodles or you can just have a bowl of it. There are many tasty curry pastes that are ready to use. The added ingredients in this recipe, like the herbs, lime, garlic and ginger take the pre-made curry paste to a whole new level!
- Prep time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 10 minutes
- Total: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4 as a main dish or 6 as a side dish
- Garlic, 3 cloves, finely minced
- Ginger, 2-inch knob, finely minced
- Scallions, 1 bunch, white part cut in ¼ “pieces and green part cut in 2” pieces
- Carrots, 2 medium, peeled & sliced on a bias
- Broccoli, 2 small heads, cut into florets
- Snow peas or Green Beans, small package, stems removed
- Mushrooms, Cremini (Baby Bella), 8 oz pkg, sliced
- Tofu, 1 pkg, drained, patted dry and cut into 1″ squares on all sides.
- Fresh Basil, 1 pkg, stems removed
- Coconut Milk, 1 can (unsweetened)
- Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste, 1 jar
- Coconut Palm Sugar, 2 T
- Red Boat brand Fish Sauce, 3 T (or if vegan, substitute with1 T salt)
- Fresh Lime, ½ small
- Water, 1 C
- Cut all vegetables and tofu.
- Blanch the broccoli in salted boiling water for 1 minute, then shock in ice water to retain color and stop cooking. Drain and set aside. Blanch and shock the snow peas or green beans as above. Drain and set aside.
- In a wok, or high sided skillet, shallow fry the tofu in a little oil until golden brown, drain on paper towel. Pour off oil from frying, leaving 1-2 TBS in wok or skillet.
- Sauté garlic, ginger and white parts of scallions in remaining oil, until fragrant.
- Add 1 jar of Red Curry Paste and sauté for a minute or two, cooking the curry and allowing flavors to bloom.
- Add 1 C water and stir to dissolve the paste in water. Add 1 can of coconut milk and bring to a simmer.
- Add Fish Sauce and Coconut Palm Sugar.
- Taste for seasoning. If you’d like it spicier, you can add red chili flakes to taste.
- Next add carrots and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- When carrots begin to soften, add all of the remaining vegetables and tofu. Simmer for a couple of minutes, allowing flavors to come together. Add basil leaves and green parts of scallions, stir and then add the juice of half a lime. Serve immediately with rice, rice noodles or all by itself.