Thanks to our friends at Gorilly Goods for putting together this helpful information about Organic and GMOs.
- GMO’s are Genetically Modified Organisms. That means that the living organism (ex. a plant) has been artifically manipulated in a lab using genetic engineering.
- Why? Some believe that by genetically engineering crops, it can increase production yield in growing and essentially allow more people to be fed from less resources.
- So why would that be bad? There’s a growing body of evidence that connects GMOs with health problems, environmental damage and even super bugs!
- Not so fun fact. . . Over 80% of all GMOs grown worldwide are engineered for herbicide tolerance. As a result, use of toxic herbicides like Roundup has increased 15 times since GMOs were introduced. GMO crops are also responsible for the emergence of “super weeds” and “super bugs,” which can only be killed with ever more toxic poisons.
- Let’s chat RoundUp. Arguably the direct result of GMOs, RoundUp has been officially linked to causing cancer after the Superior Court of California awarded a terminally ill cancer patient a large sum of money. Does this prove the link? Not necessarily. But, it shows that the link has some legs to stand on. $289 million of legs.