The Harvest Market staff has taken a number of steps to help keep ourselves and our customers as safe and healthy as possible during this unprecedented time of uncertainty during the COVID-19 pandemic:
1. We are closely monitoring the situation and will comply with all government-issued health directives as they are announced.
2. Harvest Market will not allow employees to work who are exhibiting symptoms of illness. We have a generous sick leave and PTO policy that employees can take advantage of during time missed from work.
3. Our staff is closely following all relevant sanitation protocols. We are regularly washing our hands with soap and water and using hand sanitizers (when available). We are frequently disinfecting commonly used surfaces with bleach, alcohol or other sanitizers. These surfaces include basket and shopping cart handles, countertops, computers, phones, door handles and pin pads.
4. We are pre-bagging fresh bread, croissants and rolls to eliminate cross handling by your fellow customers.
5. We have moved our kitchen’s baked goods case to customer service and it is no longer self-serve. A staff member will bag your selections for you with a gloved hand.
6. We have eliminated our bulk herb and spice section until further notice, as we have no way of ensuring necessary sanitation. We will be expanding our selection of prepackaged herbs and spices. Unfortunately, not every item will continue to be available.
7. We have eliminated all food sampling and removed all product testers from the supplement and body care areas.
8. We have informed all sales reps that all meetings are to be by phone until further notice. This minimizes points of contact with other areas which may have higher rates of coronavirus exposure.
9. Our buyers and staff are working overtime to keep the store as well stocked as possible. Many items, however, are sold out and will continue to be sold out until manufacturers are able to ramp up production and get products back into distribution and ultimately back onto our shelves. Some products may be unavailable for months. We are completely sold out of hand sanitizers and wipes.
What you can do:
1. Be prudent but don’t panic. Follow all the common-sense recommendations: wash your hands frequently, cough into your elbow, avoid shaking hands or hugging others and keep up with CDC and your state’s Department of Public Health guidelines.
2. Do everything you can to maintain a strong immune system. Stay hydrated and get plenty of sleep. Eliminate sugar and other junk foods from your diet as they can weaken your immune system. Open your windows and let some fresh air into your home. Take a walk in the woods. Enjoy the warmth of a sunny spring day.
3. We are all in this together. Thank you in advance for your patience with the situation and our staff. We are doing the best we can under very trying circumstances.
4. Please, please, please–if you are exhibiting any symptoms of illness, please take the recommended precautions and do not shop at Harvest Market or anywhere else.
Finally, please know that Harvest Market is committed to doing everything we can, given the resources we have available, to support our community during this time of crisis.
To stay up to date on information regarding COVID-19 in Delaware, you can reference de.gov/corornavirus.